Paul Graham - 2012 Hasselblad Award Winner
The Hasselblad Foundation is pleased to announce British photographer Paul Graham as the recipient of the 2012 Hasselblad Foundation International Award in Photography for SEK 1,000,000 (approximately GBP 95,000, US$150,000), The award ceremony will take place in London on March 8, 2012. An exhibition of his work, Paul Graham – 2012 Hasselblad Award Winner will open on October 26, 2012 at the Hasselblad Center at the Gothenburg Museum of Art, Sweden, in connection with which, one or more seminars will be arranged with the award winner.
The Foundation’s citation regarding the decision to award the 2012 prize to Paul Graham is as follows:
Paul Graham is one of the most brilliant photographers of his generation. During the course of his nearly 40-year career, he has presented an extremely focused body of work, at once perfectly coherent and never monotonous. In images both sensitive and subtly political, he makes tangible the insignificant traces of ″the spirit of the times″ we do not normally see. With his keen awareness of the photographic medium, he has constantly developed innovative forms of working with all aspects of photography. This makes him a profound force for renewal of the deep photographic tradition of engagement with the world.
This year’s award committee, which submitted its proposal to the Foundation’s board of directors, consisted of:
- Clément Chéroux (chair), Photography Historian, Curator Department of Photograpy, Centre Pompidou, Paris, France,
- Ekaterina Degot, Art Historian, Art Critic and Curator, Moscow, Russia
- Ute Eskildsen, Professor, Head of the Department of Photography and Vice-Director, Museum Folkwang, Essen, Germany.
- Gao Shiming, Curator, School of Intermedia Art, China Art Academy, Hangzhou, PR China,
- Roberta Valtorta, Scientific Director, Museo di Fotografia Contemporanea, Milan, Italy.
Hasselblad Foundation International Award in Photography is granted for exceptional photographic achievement and amounts to SEK 1,000,000 (approximately EUR 105,000).
Portrait Paul Graham
© Estefania Meana